brick circle

I’d mentioned a front row seat to a very big hole in a previous post, my intention was to core drill a big hole through the non-functioning chimney; even had a concrete cutting company come out and persuaded them to do it despite their hesitancy. To cut a 32″ hole would require and tremendous support structure since we couldn’t trust the holding strength of the soft brick… one of many challenges. Alas, I discovered some structural concerns that put the ax to the project but it gave me ideas that lead to this:

a good compromise since I couldn’t drill through.

I removed about 3/4 of an inch of plaster to reveal the brick. Interestingly, each of the four fire places also had a separate flue above the mantle (total flues in the original house: 11 in three separate chimneys). I chipped out the backside of the flue in kitchen and grouted in a pipe that fit perfectly. In the end I got part of what I wanted by connecting the two rooms.

brick circle love…

About mdejong11

Residential contractor/artist
This entry was posted in recent postings. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s